Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

A quick one from Kazakhstan




The Journey begins
A quick one from Kazakhstan
Monday, August 31, 2009 6:59 | Filled in The Bike



Yup, we made it.

Crossed the border yesterday in the company of Andreas and Claudia, which I have to say was a real honour what with those two being responsible for Dot’s revival. Without them I’d be back in Bishkek throwing spanners.

We camped together last night and now they’re off, riding at a reasonable pace while I cruise along at 65km/h disappearing further an further behind. But I reckon we’ll catch them. Have you heard of tortuoise and the hare?

Kazakhstan’s pretty cool and easy to ride, with the people just a little like Borat but not quite. You can tell it’s a rural place with people taking pleasure in simple things. But they’re nice, and beep and wave a lot.

The 7th is the day the Russian visa starts, so between now and then we’re just going to lope our way across this big shrubland in the hope we get to the border that very day. But that would take careful planning and we’re not much cop at that.

The toothbrush repair is holding up grand with not a drop spilt or even a smear. In fact Dot’s going better than I ever remeber her. Real tight on the throttle, responsive and just that bit better on the hills now I’m running a smaller sprocket. If we’d have had 15 teeth from the start I reckon we’d be home now.

Alas we didn’t, so instead we’re on a collision course with a Calais ferry on the 17th September. I can’t wait. I’m tired now and starting to look for the quickest way home, not necessarily the best.

But we still want to go to the ski resort I did my first season, still want to lap the Nurburgring, still want to buy a ‘hung’ in Switzerland.

All in good time….

See ya later.

No comments: